Website South Plains Community Action
This position entails tasks that are diverse in nature. The normal work hours are 7:15-3:15, M-F, but may be varied by the Site Leader to accommodate all hours the Center is open.
The Teacher Assistant is responsible to the Site Leader. The Teacher Assistant is responsible for assisting the Lead Teacher in preparation of lesson plans and activities, interacting appropriately with children and maintaining records. Noise level could be moderate to loud in the center.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist Lead Teacher in planning and implementing a child development program for Head Start classroom that aligns with developmentally appropriate practices and meets Head Start Performance Standards/TDFPS licensing requirements.
- Assure child-staff ratios are maintained at all times according to Head Start Performance Standards/TDFPS.
- Maintain an open, friendly and cooperative relationship with each child’s family, encourage their involvement in the program, and promote parent-child bonding and nurturing parent-child relationships.
- Assist in developing lesson plans to include all program areas implement positive learning experiences to develop curiosity, initiative, problem-solving, creativity, sense of self and group belonging
- Conduct screenings and assessments for children in accordance with established policies
- Maintain records of enrolled children and families in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards/TDFPS.
- Promote feelings of security and trust in children by being warm, supportive and comforting, and by establishing strong and caring relationships with them
- Utilize the Child Guidance Plan to maintain positive child guidance methods, Conduct Observation and appropriate documentation.
- Conduct home visits and parent conferences
- Regularly monitor children on playground and equipment to ensure safe, appropriate play and that children are visible at all times
- Respond to crisis or emergency situations that may occur. Provide First Aid or CPR, prevent the spread of blood borne pathogens, and assess the need for emergency services
- Must be knowledgeable in the various disciplines of the Head Start program, including but not limited to social services, parent involvement, health and services to children with disabilities
- Responsible for cleaning duties including mopping, sweeping, dusting, cleaning restrooms or any other cleaning duties as assigned by the Site Leader
- Promote Parent Engagement Activities
- Responsible for reporting to their immediate supervisor or designee, if they witness or see anything present or anyone not following the SPCAA procedures or processes that place a person or program records at risk
- Capture, value, and appropriately document In-Kind, non-federal share
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES OR JOB REQUIREMENTS
- In the absence of the Lead Teacher, fill in for all essential duties of Lead Teacher
- Assist with and/or attend parent meetings, orientations, and special functions
- Assure that any accident/illness for children or staff is reported immediately and followed-up with appropriate forms
- When assisting in transportation of children/parents:
► Maintain a calm atmosphere on the vehicle
► Assist the driver in transporting children and families safe and proper manner
► Ensure compliance with all laws regarding proper transporting policies
► Assist and be responsible for children and adults during boarding and un-boarding of the vehicle
► Ensure that all children and parents are properly secured in the vehicle according to the transportation laws
► Make sure no obstructions exist on the bus and that all exits are properly marked
► Assist the driver with pre-trip inspections
► Maintain discipline when children are being transported
- May assist in kitchen or with duties of Cook or Cook Assistant
- The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employees may perform other related duties and special projects as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required
- Be at least 18 years old
- Teacher assistant or daycare experience highly preferred
- Embrace the principle of the parent as the primary educator and support attachment of parent and child
- Ability/knowledge of personal computer operations within a Windows software environment required
- Available for a light amount of night and weekend work
- Head Start teaching assistants nationwide in center-based programs have–
(I) at least a child development associate credential;
(II) enrolled in a program leading to an associate or baccalaureate degree; or
(III) enrolled in a child development associate credential program to be completed within 2 years.”
- In an effort to meet the above requirements, all current and new hire Teacher Assistants agree to document verification of one of the above three criteria. If a Teacher Assistant does not meet one of the criteria above, that employee agrees to immediately participate in the program process in coordination with the child development credential program. For new hires, this will begin as soon as new employee orientation. Failure to meet one of the above criteria will result in the disqualification of an employee or applicant for the Teacher Assistant position.
To apply for this job please visit www.spcaa.org.